Heed the Call: Volunteer!
Today’s the last day of National Volunteer Month, but it can be the first day of a new volunteer commitment. Volunteering isn’t just a great way to serve your community. It also helps you stay active, introduces you to new friends, and provides an outlet for your unique talents.
Not sure which organization would be the best fit for your abilities? These resources can help.
- Create the Good helps older adults find local opportunities that match their interests.
- Volunteer.gov lets you search for exciting volunteer positions with the National Park Service, the Bureau of Land Management, and other government agencies.
- AARP Experience Corps trains and connects people over 50 with children who need help learning to read.
- Senior Corps places older adults with service organizations in roles such as senior companion or foster grandparent for a child with special needs.
- Feeding America matches volunteers with local food banks, food pantries, and meal programs.
E-Quicktips are a service of VirginiaNavigator, a nonprofit that connects older adults, people with disabilities, veterans, and their families and caregivers with essential services.
Sign up for E-Quicktips Go to page
E-Quicktips are a free informational resource for adults, caregivers, people with disabilities, veterans and their families, delivered twice a month via e-mail.